WTC captive may appeal workers payment of $55m
The World Trade Centre Captive Insurance Company is deciding whether to appeal against a judge’s decision to pay those who sued for health damage an extra
Over 10,000 rescue and clean-up workers, who sued New York City (NYC) for damages to their health, will receive a bonus payment and will not have to pay
lawyers’ fees on the extra compensation.
Federal Manhattan District Court judge, Alvin K Hellerstein signed an order on September 8 as over 99% of the claimants accepted the settlement.
Both the city’s insurer, the World Trade Centre Captive Insurance Company, and the lead plaintiffs’ counsel, the firms of Napoli Bern Ripka Shkolnik and
Worby Groner Edelman, said they were still deciding whether to appeal against the ruling.
David Biester, the captive insurance company’s general counsel, said the city had previously agreed to $12.5m in bonus payments and disputed that the bonus
payments could reach $55m.
The emergency services and volunteers, who worked at the site, sued the city over illnesses, mainly respiratory, said to be a direct result of NYC’s failure to
provide suitable protective gear and supervision during recovery efforts after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.
Most of the claimants have received part of the payment under the settlement, the full amount is not expected to be distributed until the end of 2011.